With one of the fastest growing fan bases in pro sports, a youthful global audience that’s already larger than Major League Baseball’s and top players who are quickly joining the ranks of millionaires – eSports have entered the mainstream phenomenon.
Did you know?
- The eSports monthly audience in 2018 has reached 167M and is predicted to reach 276M by 2022.
- eSports rivals traditional pro sports. eSports viewership is already outpacing some major league sport audiences. Unlike traditional sports, most eSports viewership is online.
- Who’s Watching? A young, digital and global audience.
- Lucrative monetization opportunities arise as a result. Like traditional sports, media rights will eventually become the largest source of eSports revenue, followed by sponsorships.
- Landmark media deals are taking shape. To date, there have been several landmark media rights deals.
- Player earnings are surging. Growing prize pools are a key factor in audience growth and player earnings are beginning to resemble other pro sports.
- Traditional pro sports are joining in. eSports keep fans engaged during the offseason. For developers, tournaments can further grow audiences, engagement, and monetization
- There’s no stopping eSports. Audiences, prize pools and monetization opportunities will be growing rapidly over the next five years.
Watch what happens when a Goldman Sachs analyst plays with the pros.
View the Infographic and read the full article by Goldman Sachs.